Monday, March 12, 2007

Neighbours

I am my own neighbour! Well actually, we have two apartments opposite each other on the same floor of this building. I've lived here almost all my life. I played cops and robbers, as a kid, on the unfinished stairways, fell into pools of cement water and even thought I saw a UFO up on the roof! Goki and I met on the terrace. We fell in love on the water tank and made plans for the rest of our lives in the lift room. All the people that live here, the sounds of the bay of Bengal, the moonlight on the water, the coconut trees and even the crows feel like my neighbours.
In the US, my neighbours were rowdy college kids who partied incessantly and threw their old sneakers up on electric wires. I had an Indian girl live next door for 2 years but never once visited her apartment.
Neighbours are nice to have. They make me feel like I know when I've reached home.
Lately I've been wondering, if my friend list on Gtalk, contacts on my cell phone and even Lilly, Anna and Arriahna, from the blog 2 pages away qualify as neighbours?

1 comment:

Sathish said...

mmm... may be time to redefine... since they are the real neighbours...