Friday, August 24, 2007

Jhoom Barabar Jhoom

Being a friday evening and all, I did what I usually do:
(i) zipped home from work with Alanis Morisette blasting loud enough to drown out the curses of people in my way (subsequently behind me and yes, still alive! Why do you ask?)
(ii) stopped by the neighbourhood video store, to take my pick from a wall full of DVDs.

Now, if you've ever shot balloons at Eliot's beach you probably know what I'm talking about. You aim at the blue n yellow specimen at the very center of the board and end up getting the dog sitting 5 feet away. Suffice to say, I had no idea how this movie (JBJ) ended up in my DVD drive. For heavens sake, all I wanted was 'Nuvvostanate Nenodantana' with good English subtitles (See, I don't understand Telugu. Sometimes I don't even understand these English subtitles but thats for another day).

So yeah, real low expectations with this one. Hey, its supposed to be a big flop after all. Truth be told, I've had a thing for Abhishek for a while now (you too? what a surprise!) but ever since he got hooked err hitched I've been avoiding him like a yeast infection. Thankfully, he isn't terribly hot in this movie (please, I'm still recovering) but his act is fantastic and his comic timing, perfection. Camera work, script and direction get an A+. Music is OK. Ricky's ring tone is genius...it goes.."Ei Handsome" :). Unfortunately people have gotten so used to the Govinda/Akshay kumar genre of one dimensional slapstick routines that humour needs to be literally force fed to get a laugh out of the juntas these days.

Anyway, If you like fantasy, you should have no problem with this movie. Its one dream sequence after another and even the bits that are supposedly real leave you confused as to the nature of reality. If JBJ were a perfume, The Matrix would be its top note and David Dhawan its base note. The only discordant note is Preity Zinta whoes dialogue delivery is every bit as botoxed as her wrinkles. Lara Dutta as a french pakistani is incredible and so is Hafee bhai as Ricky Thukral's best bud. Ricky darling as an obnoxious punjabi hip-hopping weirdo is a fabulous character and my ex-love excels at it. There are many many wonderful moments in the movie which will leave you ROTFALMAO.

Quirky, crazy, hysterical, hilarious, ridiculous, spoofy, surreal, weird, hammy and cliched. Over the top and out of the roof!! Loved it :)

1 comment:

Sathish said...

Hey, Was it really good? or is it a leg pulling stuff? (like... let all experience what we gone through :))